FAIREY SWORDSMAN 33
DIMENSIONS & SPECIFICATION
Builder: Fairey Marine
Hull Designer: Alan Burnard
Year Built: 1967
LOA: 33’0” / 10 m
Beam: 11’5” / 3.48 m
Draft: 3'0'' /0.9 m
Dispalcement : 5.9 tonnes
Accommodation: 6 berths in 3 cabin(s) / 2 head/WC(s)
Engine: 2 Perkins 2704 Mermaids (220hp) Diesel
Location: Northshore Shipyard, Chichester
Price: £88,000, VAT exempt
A rare opportunity to acquire a classic FAIREY SWORDSMAN 33 refurbished 2020.
Refit works are due to be completed shortly and include the following:
Engine lift out, reconditioned and rebuild by Lancing Marine
Upgrade twin 220 hp bench tested
New stainless steel, wing fuel tanks
New water tank polypropylene
New galley complete with cooker, fridge, additional storage
New electrics throughout
Cabins bulkheads relaminated in maple
New heads including sinks
New propellers and anodes.
New port lights to hull
New bimini / sprayhood and full aft deck tent
New teak decks
New teak cockpit sole
News leather seating to cockpit
New upholstery to saloon
New mattresses to berths
The Swordsman 33 combines luxury and fast cruising with maximum comforting all weathers. Even under really adverse conditions she retains good sea keeping qualities and is dry and comfortable. With 11ft 5in beam, deep see section and swept up chine, the Swordsman makes light of Channel seas.
61 Fairey Swordsman boats were built between 1964 and 1974 at the Fairey Hamble Point factory. They were produced in one of two main configurations; either open cockpit or aft cabin. “Blue Moon” is a 1967 aft cabin version originally built in 1967 and is recorded as hull #6.
Fairey Swordsman hulls were made with 2.5 mm thick laminations of Agba mahogany; continuous from keel to gunwale. The bottom was constructed with nine laminations and the topsides six. Agba was preferred for its high resistance to splitting and its ability to bond well with the Borden ‘one-shot’ waterproof glue. The process began with initial layers of Agba stapled to the hull mould. Subsequent laminations were then applied, glued and positioned with staples –those to be extracted from the under skin before subsequent layers were laid over. Before placing in the oven, the entire assembly was enclosed in a thick rubber bag. Under vacuum, the bag was pulled tight over the hull’s surface and the whole assembly rolled into the autoclave. Steam in the oven raised the temperature to 100 degrees C at a pressure of around 50 psi for around half an hour. Thus the truly waterproof glue impregnated the wood completely, enabling the layers to amalgamate well without the need for a lot of staples and an extremely resilient hull was formed and left to cure for a week or so. The superstructure is also of laminated wood while the decks are teak planked and cover boards are varnished teak.
Prior to arriving at Northshore Shipyard, there is photographic evidence of the hull being stripped to bare wood and also of the deck being stripped and re-laid. It would appear that a new cockpit structure was also recently installed, returning the hull, superstructure to her original design.
ACCOMMODATION AND DOMESTIC EQUIPMENT
Entering by the sides or over the teak laid after deck, the spacious semi enclosed cockpit with completely renewed console has a high strength screen. The helm to port and co pilot starboard have custom stainless steel seats upholstered in white and pale blue. Additional forward-facing seats (with matching upholstery) are positioned on either side of the aft cabin hatch. The helm position is well served with all NEW engine controls, and all NEW instrumentation and navigation aids near to hand.
Amidships the lifting hatch cover and folding teak door reveal the saloon forward and below reached by a short companionway step ladder.
The saloon has been completely refurbished with all bulkheads being re-laminated in maple veneer with drawers, doors and trimmings retained in their original mahogany. NEW teak and holly flooring has been added to enhance other upgrades.
The saloon, galley, heads and forward cabin are well lit by coach roof windows forward and both sides and fitted with NEW ‘breeze’ pleated blinds.
Completely NEW cushions and upholstery to be provided.
Completely NEW headlinings have been installed throughout the boat using Kayospruce Nautolex 4.5mm marine lining in champagne.
To port are comfortable seats fore and aft and with stowage below facing the demountable, fully refurbished and re-varnished teak saloon table. A slide out insert converts the seats to a double berth.
Forward of the hanging lockers, set in semi bulkheads each side, lies the still spacious fore cabin. This cabin shows to full effect the benefits of its complete refit in a variety of high quality woods, veneers, and mahogany drawers and trim. The forward berths are well lit from aft and above with a large hatch, new lighting and wiring installed. The original vee berth has stowage drawers under both sides aft and lifting boards forward.
Coming aft, to starboard, the galley has been sympathetically completely redesigned and completely refitted with a NEW Smev “moonlight 3” 3 ring hob, oven and grill, NEW Dometic CRX-65 fridge, NEW Corean work surfaces and splashbacks, NEW stainless steel sink, NEW hot and cold (combination)tap (via new 25ltr calorifier / storage tank), NEW plumbing, wiring and gas supply. Additional lockers and storage cupboards have also been sympathetically created within the newly designed galley etc and includes the addition of a ‘drinks’ locker. Additional equipment items include:
- 220 V switched sockets
- 12 V / 24 V sockets for phone / TV / PC
- NEW overhead lights and wiring
- ‘Red’ light
- NEW wiring installed in preparation for additional reading lights.
The full height head compartment with NEW manual WC, slide out Corean sink unit, NEW combination tap supplying hot and cold water from NEW 25ltr calorifier. NEW doors in mahogany and NEW door handles and fittings.
Access to the spacious aft cabin is via a hatch and companionway steps from the after deck. This cabin benefits from a double berth to starboard with a large settee to port. In addition it benefits from its own heads, including NEW WC and sink. The aft cabin also has a large vanity unit on the aft bulkhead, NEW lighting, wiring and headlinings.
In keeping with the main saloon and forward cabin, the flooring has also been replaced with NEW teak and holly flooring.
Under the vanity unit / rear shelving is a NEW custom Tektank 160ltr fresh-water tank and new pressurised plumbing system.
- 3 new portlights
- Ample under seat storage, shoe locker and shelving
- Wiring installed for reading lights
- 220 V sockets
- Phone / electronic device charge points
- NEW cushions and upholstery
DECK EQUIPMENT AND GROUND TACKLE
- Newly installed Lofrans X2 272 heavy duty anchor winch
- 25kg plough anchor, chain and warp
- Original re-chromed mushroom vents
- Original re-chromed foredeck bollard and six mooring cleats
- NEW fairleads and other deck fittings
- Stainless steel pulpit / pushpit
- NEW stainless steel handrails
- Full blue acrylic canvas cockpit bimini with full cockpit / aft deck tent (including removable side and rear panels)
- Transom swimming ladder / boarding platform
- Ensign staff
MECHANICAL ELECTRICAL AND TANKAGE
- Twin 210hp Mermaid 2704 diesel engines. Removed and completely restored and upgraded by Lancing Marine engine specialists. Only recently reinstalled, including completely NEW stainless steel fuel tanks, NEW wiring, NEW engine controls, NEW cooling system, NEW skin fittings, NEW exhaust system including NEW environmental mufflers.
- Cruising estimated between 18 to 20 knots (@ 2,500 rpm). Max speed exceeds 30 knots
- Consumption each engine not yet confirmed but is recorded for similar boats at circa 7 gph at cruising speed and 11 gph at 25-30 knots
- NEW 21” x 24.5” x 3 bladed (0.52 DAR LH AB2) bronze propellers
- Rope cutters to both shafts.
- NEW 25ltr Calorifier to serve new hot/ cold water system
- 240 V supplementary immersion water heating
- Morse engine controls
- NEW battery auto charger
- NEW 4 x 24 V deep cycle heavy duty batteries; (2 engine, 2 domestic)
- NEWLY installed shore power system
- NEW automatic isolator bilge pump system with 2 pumps in 2 chambers
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit, forward cabin and aft cabin
- NEW stainless steel wing fuel tanks each c 90 gallons / 410 litres
- NEW custom Tektank water tank 35 gallons / 160 litres
- Waypoint 6 man offshore valise life raft new, fully serviced October 2019
- Gas sensor alarm
- Engine exhaust heat alarms
This boat has basically been stripped back to its original hull and superstructure, its engines and old fuel and water tanks removed, and then completely rebuilt and professionally reinstalled with completely new wiring etc and a completely new instrument panel. The idea was to retain as much of the character of the old boat whilst bringing it up to date and giving it a positive makeover.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
If you would like to view this yacht or requirement more information, please contact us by email or telephone.
+44 (0) 1243 512611
RECEIVE OUR LATEST BROKERAGE LISTINGS
To get up-to-date new listings, please subscribe to our newsletter. If you are looking for a specific model or have a certain budget, please let us know and we will do our best to find your perfect yacht.